Every single person that crosses the village of Hnojník cannot help
to see a beautiful building, that some time ago was a wonderful castle
surrounded with a big park. This palace has the view over the whole
village; it is a cultural monument of architectonical art and a example
of how the aristocracy of that époque used to live. It remains unknown who
were the constructors of the original building; the one who has resisted until
present was constructed under order of Karel Václav Beess de Chostina in the
XVII century. It has two floors and is designed in baroque style.
During the first half of IXX century, the palace was reconstructed in the style of the Silesian Empire by the wiener architect Josef Kornhäusel. At the end of the century, the second floor was added to the building. The palace was the residence of some possessors of a state of the Beess family, who used to spend the winter in Wien and to return to Hnojník in summer. Between the XVIII and the IXX century, several family members became part of the state authority and the courts of Cieszyn; this fact granted them the opportunity to remain in Hnojník, even after the dissolution of the Austro-hungarian Empire. The Beess family ordered a family vault to be constructed in the catholic cemetery of the village, where a lot of them were buried.
The big park around the palace, previously well preserved, used to had numerous sculptures and small statues, some dedicated to St. John of Nepomuk, patron saint of the Czech Republic. In 1930, T. G. Masaryk, the first president of the Czech Republic visited the region of Cieszyn. His car remained where nowadays there is a bus stop and where the major of the village, Jirí Stadtherr, welcomed him for the first time. During the night from July 5th to 6th, the national flag flew on the flagpole of the palace to announce the presence of such a distinguished guest. In 1947-1948, the inner parts of the building were finished and in 1950, the façade was reconstructed. In November of 1945, The National Committee of the district Cesky Ciesyin confiscated the goods of the Bless family, and the palace served until the year 1966 as the seat of this National Committee, the Committee of State Woods, and the Institute of Investigation; the rest of rooms of the building were transformed into apartments. In the year 1966, the State Treasury of Hnojník bought the palace for 150,000 Czech korunas and established there. The first floor became a big hall to celebrate wedding ceremonies.
The Beess family of Chróscina and their place of residence After the year 1736, Karel Václav Beess of Chróscina became the new owner of the feudal lands of Hnojnik. In the first half of IXX century, the palace was reconstructed in Silesian Empire style, already since the time of Jirí III Beess (11.3.1779 - 29.5.1836).
The building, of imperial style, has a rectangular shape. the palace and the roman-catholic cemetery of Hnojník are close to the parish church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.
At the end of the IXX century, in the year 1897, was made the last remodeling of the palace and the second floor was build. In those days, the owner of the building was Georg IV Bees Chróscin (5.2.1824 - 14.3.1905, son of Georg III). After the death of Josef Bees, his nephew Jirí Beess became the owner. Jirí, son of Johan Nepomuk and Eleonora Wachtler, was born on 15 December 1880 in Wien, where the Beess had his “winter residence”, in which they used to live in autumn. Jirí Beess was the last member of the family who lived in the Palace of Hnojník.
As the year 1945 went by, all what the Beess family owned was confiscated. On 29 August 1946, the last owner of the Hnojník lordship was taken to Germany, where he died in 1955, within the framework of transferals of the German. The National Committee of the region assumed the administration of the palaceand that was the starting point of the decadency of the palace and the surrounding land. The interior of the building was remodeled and turned into offices and apartments. After 1948 the remaining part of the furniture was moved to a depositary in the castle of Sternberk, Moravia, who kept it safe until 1999. The same happened to the books and furniture in the library of the Hnojník palace, whose main batch of books was distributed between the palaces of Potstát and Sternberk. After the Second World War, the so-called Scherschnik Library of Ciesyin was also deposited in the palace of Hnojník, and, therefore, could then be recovered. When the Beess Library was moved to the Sternberk palace, it had around 750 volumes. In 2000, the visitors of the castle of Sternberk could see exhibited for the first time the furniture of the Hnojník palace (it consisted of 421 volumes shown in five rooms). Despite this, no information is known about what happened to the most part of the old furniture of the Hnojník palace. According to the historians it was stolen, or sold for token sums. The nationalization finishes a period of 200 years of the history of the palace, since it was the property of the Beess of Chróścina, related to the barons of Hnojník.
The State Company of the Public Property of Hnojník (Státní statek n.p. v Hnojníku) used the palace for administrative purposes, and the first floor served as hall for ceremonies of the National Municipal Committee. During more than 40 years (until the year 1990), only the more necessary maintenances were made to the building and its surroundings, which led to the slowly degradation of the palace.
Finally, it is worth mentioning an important event occurred in the history of the palace and the village of Hnojník. 71 years ago (5 July 1930), the president Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk visited the village in order to stay one night at the palace. According to some sources, Johan Nepomuk Beess (brother of Georg V, owner of the lordship) and T.G.M were colleagues during the university years.
Even though the current state of the palace does not awake much optimism, its future can be wonderful. In this moment, this palace in imperial style remains a silent witness of the old times and regimes; those times in which the Beess’ of Chróscina were a distinguished noble family; those times that are an indelible part of the history.
© paralel.co 2014 All Right Reserved.